Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Last day of orchestra

So, I won't do it again.

Bianca's viola teacher didn't want her participating in any orchestras. She was worried about Bianca getting lazy, not focusing on form and technique like she needs to, and getting back into bad habits. But I didn't feel like I could take it away from her. It was the only "fun" that she gets with the hours and hours of practice and lessons. Plus, the elementary-school instructor really prizes Bianca's talent and has the orchestra play Bianca's compositions. Not to mention that the orchestra is filled with Bianca's friends and classmates. How could I tell her she couldn't do it?

At our new school next year at Westfield, there is no elementary orchestra. This is a good thing. No more dilemma.

The Friday before Mother's Day was the end-of-year concert at Riverton Elementary. Bianca got to conduct her song one last time (I think it sounded better this time than at the Monster Concert). Sorry the footage is so bad. Just before they played the song, the instructor asked Bianca in front of her whole school and the parents why she wrote this song. Bianca answered that she had written for me for Mother's Day. I was wiping tears from my eyes as I tried to hold up the camera. My sweet daughter.

The instructor also gave out awards at the concert. The kids could earn different levels for knowing notes, key signatures and rhythms, circle of fifths, and composing songs. Bianca LOVES trophies so she aimed for the gold award again and got it.


I'm a little sad that this is the end of elementary school orchestra for Bianca. I'm sad that she won't be going to school with these kids again next year. I'm sad that Bianca won't get to see her compositions performed anymore. This elementary school orchestra is the reason why Bianca decided to start playing the viola in the first place. She wouldn't know what a viola was if it weren't for this orchestra. I'm glad she had as long as she did here.



No comments: