Monday, June 21, 2010

In light of Father's Day yesterday

I'm not sure what my problem was this year. I always start running in the spring. But this year, I waited and waited and waited. Maybe it was the weather that was unseasonably cold or maybe it was my laziness--probably both. It wasn't until Bianca said she wanted to go running that I finally said yes. Then we started running together in the morning, the two of us, but I found myself always correcting her (relax your hands, breath in your nose, stop whining--why can't I just leave her alone?) and I realized I can't run with her. So I politely told her she should focus on getting ready in the mornings instead of running. I hope I don't regret this in the long run because I think exercise is so important--especially developing habits as children. But really, I'm a solo runner. I prefer it that way. Then I'm not feeling so much pressure to either keep up or slow down to run with a buddy; I can set my own pace. Plus, I hate talking while running (just ask my poor sister who loves to discuss all of life while running).

But there is one thing I do say while I'm running. Every time I pass another runner or biker or walker. It's "Morning." My dad used to say it when we would run together. He'd say it to every person who went by whether it was the first time or the twelfth. Some people are friendly back, some not. But I don't let it bother me; I'm too busy breathing in and out, in and out, willing my tired legs to just keep going. It's one small way I can keep the spirit of my father alive, keep him running, keep a running buddy by my side without having to worry about slowing anyone down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad was always so friendly to everyone. He even tried it in CA when he'd visit. He got some weird looks but it didn't seem to bother him. He was who he was regardless of what anyone else thought. Anyway, back on the topic of running, I think it's great that Bianca wants to run with you. At some point as a mother, it's not about you anymore. Think of the memories you can help Bianca have of you. It's worth the sacrifice.

rachel said...

This is a great post.
I'm glad you feel your dad when you run and that you have Bianca with you. :)

Erin said...

My dad was always a runner. He didn't like to run with us because it was his time to be alone. However, my mom made him work out a compromise that seemed to work well while we were growing up. He would run when he normally would and enjoy his "me" time. About twice a week he would take one of his children for a run (this was in addition to his alone run). We liked it because we could be with dad and exercising. He didn't mind because he had already had his alone run and so didn't feel like he was neglecting his workout time. This might work for you as well.

Crystal said...

I find that I am very particular about running too. My socks have to be a certain brand to fit the way I like them, I don't like to listen to music, I prefer not to talk much. And although sometimes I feel like I need someone else coming with me to get me up and out of bed, once we are out there, I like to go my own pace, like you described, and not feel pressured to go faster or slower, and most of all I hate having to run somewhere I don't like. If I don't like where I am running, I'd almost rather not run.

I think you're setting a good example for Bianca whether she is running with you or not. She sees you doing it and she knows it's important.