Saturday, May 16, 2015

I'm definitely not mother of the year

I've felt a lot of guilt working out of the home and I've been working there for over a year and a half now. Eric's still working on getting one of his business ventures up and running before I'll feel comfortable stepping away, but until then, I'm pretty much in the office Monday through Friday, 8-5 (although I do work from home on Wednesdays so that Portia can be in orchestra while Eric has a weekly afternoon meeting).

Somewhere amidst all this working, I spaced the 2nd grade program that Portia had been talking about for weeks. In fact, she had a speaking part she'd memorized. We didn't get a reminder or email and remembered about an hour after the whole thing was over. Portia was so upset and she cried for a good half hour.

I asked her to do her memorized part so that I could record it. When she recited her part, I nearly cried.


I'm not sure how long I'll be working full-time, but it's a good thing Portia has memorized these great ways to deal with her feelings of sadness. She'll probably need it in the future.

Although a couple weeks later when I received a phone call from Portia's teacher about the award she was about to receive, I made sure I was there. Here she is getting her award:


No comments: